Connect with us

News

Trump responded for the first time: If the Electoral College votes for Biden, I will leave the White House

Published

on

Trump responded for the first time: If the Electoral College votes for Biden, I will leave the White House

After agreeing to Biden to read the US President’s daily briefing, Trump, who refused to admit defeat, made even greater concessions. According to reports from “The Hill” and other US media on November 26, local time, Trump accepted questions from reporters at the press conference after the Thanksgiving Day event that day. He said that if the Electoral College finally voted for Biden, he would leave the White House.

This is the first time Trump has answered reporters’ questions head-on since the election three weeks ago. This is also the biggest concession by Trump so far. However, Trump still reiterated the allegations of “election fraud”, saying that “a lot of things will happen” between now and the transfer of power.

Biden announced the members of his diplomatic and national security team on November 24. He is not worried about Trump’s refusal to admit defeat. In an interview with American media, Biden declared that if Trump refuses to admit defeat, “the American people will stand up.” At present, the certification of election results in various states in the United States is in progress. Biden is expected to be elected as the next President of the United States with an advantage of 306 to 232 electoral votes.

Trump responded for the first time: If the Electoral College votes for Biden, I will leave the White House

According to a live video released by the “The Hill”, at a press conference on Thanksgiving Day on the 26th, a reporter asked Trump whether he would leave the White House if the Electoral College finally voted for Biden as the next president.

Trump answered reporters’ questions. This was the first time he responded positively to reporters’ questions after half a month. He made a “concession” statement this time: “Certainly I will (leave), and of course I will. You should know.”

But then Trump changed the conversation and began to criticize “election fraud.” He claimed: “I think a lot will happen between now and January 20 (Biden is sworn in). We have found a lot of election fraud, just like a third world country.” “The Hill,” I think this passage shows that Trump is still implying that he does not intend to admit defeat.

Although he has made “concessions”, Trump said at the press conference that day that “it is unlikely to admit defeat” and repeatedly emphasized that there are problems with vote counting: “I don’t know what will happen, I know one thing. In fact, Biden did not get 80 million votes.” Trump also claimed that his actual votes were “far more than 74 million votes.”

In addition, “The Hill” said that Trump also told reporters that he was not sure whether he would attend Biden’s inauguration. Usually, former U.S. presidents will attend the inauguration of their successors to show “American unity.” Obama attended Trump’s inauguration four years ago.

On November 23, the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) has notified Biden that it is preparing to start the transition process, and Director Emily Murphy has also sent emails to various federal government departments to confirm that Biden is “president-elect.” On the same day, Trump tweeted that he would continue to advance the lawsuit, while also “suggesting” Murphy to “do what should be done.” Some US media believe that this can be regarded as the first step for the Trump administration to admit that the election has failed.

One day after the start of the transition process, on November 24, Trump threatened to continue the lawsuit but made greater concessions, agreeing to let Biden read the president’s daily briefing. CNN described this as Trump “another step towards the transfer of power.”

 

Planning the “electoral coup” but was thrown cold water.

Reuters pointed out that in order for a presidential candidate to win the general election, it does not necessarily have to win the majority of the American people, but must obtain a majority of the total 538 electoral votes in each state (270 or more). The electors appointed by each state should pledge to support the winner in that state.

The Trump campaign tried to obtain electoral votes in key battlefield states through litigation or pressure on state legislators, but these efforts ended in failure. Reuters believes that this means that Trump has a dead end.

Earlier, the “Wall Street Journal” and other US media disclosed that Trump took the initiative to call Republican election officials in Michigan and also met with Republican state lawmakers in the state. Trump tried to win their support to hinder the certification of the state’s election results, allowing the state legislature to appoint pro-Trump electors, thereby bypassing the voting results to win the electoral votes in one fell swoop. The Republican leader of the Michigan State Assembly, Hilkie, described this “strategy” as an “electoral coup.”

But his plan was severely poured cold water by Republicans in the state, and it went bankrupt immediately before it was implemented. The two Republican leaders of the Michigan State Legislature, Hilky, and Chatfield, publicly rejected any idea of ​​”interference in the election” or “electoral coup”, and stated in a joint statement that they would not interfere in the certification process and would follow The legal process appoints electors.

Trump responded for the first time: If the Electoral College votes for Biden, I will leave the White House

Michigan state lawmakers told Trump that they don’t think the state’s results will change,” the Wall Street Journal reported screenshots

Trump’s “election fraud” lawsuits in various states also basically ended in failure. According to statistics from the National Broadcasting Corporation (NBC) on the 27th, the Trump campaign has fought at least 38 lawsuits in various states, of which at least 26 were rejected by the courts or “reconciled”, and the rest are still under trial or temporarily No result was announced.

The New York Times quoted people familiar with the matter as saying that legal experts are not optimistic about the Trump campaign’s attempts to overturn the election results. They told Trump that the “electoral coup” is almost “doomed to fail” because even if one Michigan state is overturned, the electoral votes are not enough unless the Trump campaign has the ability to simultaneously achieve it in several key battlefield states.” Turn over”.

Trump responded for the first time: If the Electoral College votes for Biden, I will leave the White House

Screenshot of NBC report

 

Biden declared “AMERICA’S BACK”

According to Reuters, on the same day, Trump made his concession, the Bidens were spending Thanksgiving in Delaware. Biden has not yet responded to Trump’s remarks.

But during the holidays, the Bidens released a few videos, sending a “presidential speech” to supporters. He said that the American people are “making common sacrifices” for the country: “I know this is not what many of us hope. The way of vacation. We also understand that staying at home is a gift to other Americans. A good day is coming.”

Biden has announced the members of his diplomatic and national security teams. On November 24th, he held a press conference in Delaware, where he proposed that Secretary of State Brinken, White House National Security Advisor Sullivan (Jake Sullivan), and others will all appear.

At the briefing, Biden declared that this is a team that “reflects the return of the United States” and that the United States is “ready to lead the world again.”

On the 25th, in an interview with NBC, Biden reiterated the slogan of “Return of America”: “The United States is back. We will once again sit on the first chair of the negotiating table… More than 20 national leaders have spoken, and they are excited that the United States will reaffirm its role in the world and become the builder of an alliance.”

Trump responded for the first time: If the Electoral College votes for Biden, I will leave the White House

Biden declared that he intends to repeal some “extremely destructive executive orders,” and promised not to interfere with any investigations by the US Department of Justice of Trump and not to put any pressure on the Department of Justice. Since there are many officials from the Obama administration in the public appearance team, Biden emphasized that his term will not become “Obama’s third term.”

Sky TV believes that Biden’s remarks indicate that he will shelve Trump’s “America First” policy after taking office and instead strengthen cooperation between the United States and its allies.

Biden told NBC that Trump has not contacted him yet, but if Trump does not accept the election defeat, “the American people will not be silent and will come forward.”

Trump responded for the first time: If the Electoral College votes for Biden, I will leave the White House

The certification of election results in various states in the United States is in progress. According to relevant laws, all doubts about election results must be resolved before December 8, and all states in the United States must complete the certification of election results before the electoral college meeting on December 14.

According to data from the Associated Press, as of November 24, a total of 16 states have completed the certification of election results. Biden is expected to receive a total of 306 electoral votes, of which he has won 54; Trump is expected to receive 232 electoral votes, of which he has won 73.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

News

Biden pushed for a $1.9 trillion stimulus package that would allow individuals to receive $1,400 in cash

Published

on

According to the Wall Street Journal, CNBC, and many other foreign media reports, US President-elect Biden announced the details of the large-scale stimulus plan, the American Rescue Plan, with a total scale of US$1.9 trillion.

The program includes:

  • Direct payment of US$1,400 per person to most Americans. Together with US$600 in December 2020, the total amount of relief will reach US$2,000;
  • Increase the federal weekly unemployment benefit to $400 and extend it to the end of September;
  • Raise the federal minimum wage to US$15 per hour and allocate US$350 billion for state and local government assistance;
  • Appropriate USD 170 billion for K-12 schools (kindergarten to grade 12) and higher education institutions;
  • Allocate US$50 billion for new coronavirus testing;
  • $20 billion was allocated for the national vaccine program.

In addition, the program will increase the annual refundable amount of the child tax credit to US$3,000 per child, and each child under the age of 6 can receive a refund of US$3,600.

According to senior officials of Biden’s team, the “U.S. Rescue Plan” will be one of the two most important expenditures in Biden’s first few months. The second bill is expected to be introduced in February. The main goal is to solve long-term employment, infrastructure, climate change, and racial equality issues.

Continue Reading

News

Senior leaders of the US military rarely make joint voices: Capitol riots are illegal, and Biden will become commander-in-chief

Published

on

On January 12, the senior leaders of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff broke the silence for nearly a week and issued a joint statement on the US Congressional riots on the 6th. They condemned the demonstrators participating in the riots for violating American laws and challenging the procedures established by the U.S. Constitution and emphasized that Biden has won the U.S. election and will soon become the new commander-in-chief of the U.S. military.

Reuters pointed out in the report that senior US military leaders usually do not make statements involving political issues. It is very rare for them to make such a joint statement this time.

The aforementioned joint statement first repeated the duties of the U.S. military, stating that the U.S. military has always obeyed the legal orders of civilian leaders, ensured public safety in accordance with the law, and is committed to “protecting the U.S. constitutional government from damage by enemies at home and abroad.”

The statement then condemned the riots in the U.S. Congress on the 6th, saying that the demonstrators directly attacked the U.S. Congress and the statutory procedures established by the Constitution, but the U.S. law did not grant them such rights, and the U.S. military would resolutely “defend the Constitution.”

“We have witnessed violations of the law in the Capitol. Free speech and freedom of assembly do not give anyone the right to resort to violence, sedition, and rebellion. As soldiers, we must embody the values and ideals of the country, and we support and defend the United States. The Constitution, any action that violates the procedures prescribed by the Constitution not only violates traditions, values, and oaths but also violates the law.” The statement reads.

At the end of the statement, the Joint Chiefs of Staff emphasized that in accordance with the US Constitution, after confirmation by states and courts and certification by Congress, Biden will be sworn in as President of the United States on January 20, becoming the 46th commander-in-chief of the US military. They also reminded U.S. soldiers across the country to be vigilant and ready to perform their duties at any time.

According to the final signature of the document, the Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milly, Vice Chairman John Hayteng, and the leaders of the various services of the US military signed this statement.

CBS said that the Joint Chiefs of Staff is responsible for the work of the chief military adviser to the President of the United States and usually does not involve political matters. Although this statement did not issue any political declaration, it clearly shows that senior US military officials believe it is necessary to reiterate the responsibilities of the US military before the inauguration of the new president. Reuters also pointed out that such joint statements by senior US military officials are very rare.

The report pointed out that the statement made by the US military this time is in sharp contrast with what they did in June last year. At that time, during the protests after the black man Freud was “kneeled and killed,” Milly, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, accompanied Trump to the church to take pictures. On the way, the National Guard used rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse the protesters. Milli later apologized to the American people for this matter.

Since the U.S. military is mainly composed of white men, the “extremism” in the U.S. military has also received close attention after the Congressional riots. The US Army said on the 12th that they will cooperate with the US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to investigate whether any US military personnel have also participated in the demonstration. “There is no place for extremism in the military. We will review every report and take appropriate action,” said a US Army spokesperson.

The US Department of Defense has announced that it may deploy up to 15,000 National Guard soldiers to be responsible for security during Biden’s inauguration. The U.S. military and the U.S. Secret Service will also conduct investigations on these National Guard personnel and decide whether it is necessary to conduct an in-depth background investigation on some of them as appropriate.

Continue Reading

News

3 dead and 4 injured by a gunner in Chicago shooting, 1 Chinese student killed

Published

on

3 dead and 4 injured by a gunner in Chicago shooting, 1 Chinese student killed

On Saturday (9th), a serial shooting occurred in Chicago, the United States. The 32-year-old African-American gunman Jason Nightengale shot wantonly, resulting in 3 deaths and 4 injuries in just a few hours. Yiran Fan, a 30-year-old Chinese student studying at the University of Chicago, was also shot dead. The gunman was killed by the police.

3 dead and 4 injured by a gunner in Chicago shooting, 1 Chinese student killed

Based on reports from the Chicago Tribune, World Journal, and other media, the serial shooting began at 1:50 pm on the 9th. Fan Yiran was the first victim. He was shot in the head by Nightingale in the car in the parking lot of the apartment. 10 minutes later, Nightingale appeared in the lobby of the apartment at No. 4900 South East End Street. At that time, the apartment building manager tried to prevent Nightingale from entering the building, but the latter broke in and turned to the 46-year-old female building manager. Shot, killing him in the chest.

According to the report, a 77-year-old woman who picked up the letter in the mailbox of the apartment building was also shot by the gunman. As of the 10th, the woman was still in critical condition. At 2:45 pm on the 9th, Nightingale entered the apartment at No. 5500 Southeast End Street from the back door, took the elevator to the 19th floor, pointed the gun at a male acquaintance, and asked him to hand over the vehicle keys. Leaving the building by car.

3 dead and 4 injured by a gunner in Chicago shooting, 1 Chinese student killed

At around 3 pm on the 9th, Nightingale appeared at a grocery store near 9300 South Hosety Street. As soon as he entered the store, he shot a 20-year-old man in the head. The man was seriously injured and sent off. He died after treatment. At that time, an 81-year-old woman who was also in the grocery store was shot in the back and neck. She was rushed to the hospital but was still in danger.

Immediately after 4 pm, Nightingale randomly fired at a passing vehicle near 10300 South Goodstit Street. A 15-year-old girl sitting in the passenger seat was shot in the head. She is currently in critical condition. . Afterwards, the gunman returned to the 9300 grocery store, aimed at the police who had been handling the case at the scene and fired, but missed any police officers.

At 5:35 pm, Nightingale appeared in Evanston, just north of Chicago, and entered a local restaurant and a chain pharmacy next to it. He also held a woman in the restaurant and shot her. After driving to escape. The police subsequently pursued him and eventually stopped Nightingale in a nearby parking lot. A gun battle broke out between the two sides and Nightingale was shot dead by the police.

3 dead and 4 injured by a gunner in Chicago shooting, 1 Chinese student killed

The Chicago Police Department said on the 10th that after preliminary investigations, Nightingale had multiple convictions. On the 8th, he posted a radical video on Facebook in which he brandished a gun and said that he would kill randomly, even threatening “I want Let the whole community blow up.” On Sunday (10th) around 10:30 am, Facebook closed Nightingale’s homepage.

On the afternoon of the 10th, the University of Chicago Booth School of Business announced that Fan Yiran is a fourth-year student of the School of Economics and Finance from China. He is a bright and talented student and is loved by his classmates. Fan Yiran originally planned to submit his doctoral dissertation this year. His main research areas include the interaction of bank asset-liability management and the research on screening competition under flexible information.

According to the media, apart from Fan Yiran, the identities of the other casualties are not yet clear.

Continue Reading

Trending